“I enjoy the intellectual challenge of law as well as the satisfaction I receive from achieving positive outcomes for clients”
As a litigator, Richard is intently focused on his clients, keeping them informed about the litigation process and walking along with them each step of the way. While willing and able to carry a matter through trial, he also recognizes that a client’s interests are often best served by reaching a favorable resolution of disputes short of trial.
During law school, Richard was inducted into the Order of the Coif and served as Research Editor for the Duke Law Journal. While at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, he was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa and received Highest Honors in Economics.
Prior to joining Tuggle Duggins, Richard clerked for the Honorable William L. Osteen, Jr., of the United States District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina.
Recent Representative Matters
- Obtained a judgment against a defunct company for amounts owed on an account for the purchase of exercise equipment. After obtaining the judgment, pursued the owner of the judgment debtor and his new company in a separate lawsuit and obtained a judgment piercing the corporate veil at a bench trial.
- Obtained a defense victory in the North Carolina Business Court on behalf of an airplane charter company and two of its principals after a two-week jury trial in a case involving allegations of misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty, and unfair trade practices.
- Served as lead counsel in a bench trial in the North Carolina Business Court and obtained a successful verdict against a trade finance company on behalf of an international timber company in a matter involving claims of breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, unfair trade practices, and conversion.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of electrical contractor in employment discrimination suit filed by former employee in federal district court.
- Obtained summary judgment and full recovery on behalf of a residential home builder on claims against property owners for unpaid amounts.
- Obtained a successful jury verdict on behalf of two commercial landlords against a former tenant arising from a breach of lease.
Outside of the Office
When not in the office, Richard enjoys reading, watching Carolina sports, particularly basketball, exercising, and spending time with friends, family, and his dachshund. Additionally, Richard and his wife enjoy spending time outdoors and have been hiking in various states in the U.S. and abroad.