Cory Rayborn describes his practice as assisting businesses in all stages of existence. Be it guiding a client through the ins and outs of a complicated and multi-faceted sale or acquisition event, setting up a brand new single-owner limited liability company or anything in-between, Cory’s experience from decades in practice leave him ready to provide a hand. Throughout this process he prides himself on getting to know the client’s true end goals and taking timely actions that try to advance the same.
As a small business owner himself, Cory personally understands and is sensitive to issues addressing his business clients. While the law is naturally always a focus, he prides himself on looking to practical solutions for matters whenever possible. When working on transactions he always strives to find ways to accomplish the client’s end goal rather than getting wrapped up in issues of clashing attorney egos. After all, the purpose of the transaction is to close the deal on terms favorable to the client, not prove who is “right.” He keeps this same approach in mind when reviewing and preparing contracts on behalf of his clients.
Over the course of his career in practice Cory has developed an extensive collection of professional contacts both within the legal field and otherwise related to client concerns. Consistent with his focus on what is best for the client, Cory keeps an eye on client matters as they move along and will not hesitate to suggest bringing in outside individuals when situations call for that.
– Assisted a seller with a $170M stock sale to private equity within the construction supplies industry.
– Assisted a buyer with a $70M asset acquisition simultaneously with a $110M bank finance restructuring within the building supplies industry.
– Assisted a seller with a $30M multi-national asset sale to private equity within the construction supplies industry.
– Represented closely held clients with complicated shareholder redemptions.
– Served as long-term, broadly focused outside counsel to several corporate clients.
– Negotiated recording artist contracts with major labels, large independent labels and smaller labels on behalf of clients.
– Negotiated synchronization licenses with films and advertisers on behalf of performing artist clients.
– Assisted several different clients with numerous asset or stock transactions (both as buyer and seller) with values of $10M or less in various business sectors including veterinary services, dental services, optometric services, construction supplies and HVAC supplies.
– Represented lenders in a variety of complex lending transactions.
Outside The Office
Cory’s main non-work focuses are his wife, Rebecca, their daughter, Katherine, and their three cats, Myrtle, Endora and Betsy. Cory is intensely also focused on music, both as a lifelong enthusiast and as the founder and owner of the independent experimental record label Three Lobed Recordings. The label has released over 150 titles (including from artists such as Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo, Steve Gunn, Daniel Bachman, the late Jack Rose, Kurt Vile, Mary Lattimore, Sunburned Hand of the Man, Bill Nace and many more). He is happy to discuss Lou Reed’s late-era oeuvre at any time. Other passions include reading (especially strange fiction and music biographies), film (a wide range but always pleased to spend time with classic film or the works of the Coen brothers, Richard Linklater or John Carpenter), baking, and, naturally, Duke University basketball. Cory is a lifelong North Carolinian who lives in his hometown of Jamestown.