Our attorneys have experience working with a wide variety of clients in the financing of commercial, industrial, and residential developments. We represent both lenders and borrowers in complex real estate financing transactions.
Our attorneys are also experienced in matters involving tax credit and affordable housing developments. These developments present clients with many intricate legal challenges that can be difficult to unravel. In today’s economic environment, clients face many hurdles advancing projects from the drawing board, to the construction site, to occupancy.
We use our vast experience in tax structuring, financing, and development to assist clients on all aspects of project development. We work hard to help our clients overcome challenges and keep their projects moving forward.
Further, since federally assisted housing is also regulated and assisted at the state and local levels, in the jurisdictions where our attorneys practice, our affordable housing practice has worked with developers and financiers in using these local programs and coordinating them with the federal programs.
We represent clients in matters involving:
- Federal and State Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTCs)
- HUD and Rural Development Financing
- Multi-tiered public and private secured financing (construction and permanent)
- Real estate tax abatements
- Tax-exempt bond financing and credit enhancements
- Acquisitions and sales of limited partnership interests in existing LIHTC projects
- Debt structuring of LIHTC projects
- Inter-creditor issues
- Land-use entitlements
- Construction and architectural contracts
- Construction and permanent loan financings
- Equity investment structures, including combined equity, construction loans, and permanent loans in “to-be-built” projects
- Syndication and sale of portfolios or upper-tier equity interests
- Tax-exempt financings combined with Section 42 credits
- LIHTC credits combined with historic tax credits and/or renewable energy credits